What Is Bias? Definition And Usage Of This Term
WHAT IS BIAS – In this topic, we are going to know and learn the definition of this term and how is this term used in sentences.
The Oxford Dictionary defines the term as the following:
- prejudice in favor of or against one thing, person, or group compared with another, usually in a way considered to be unfair.
- in some sports, such as lawn bowling, the irregular shape given to a ball.
- a steady voltage, magnetic field, or other factor applied to an electronic system or device to cause it to operate over a predetermined range.
- cause to feel or show inclination or prejudice for or against someone or something
Meanwhile, the Merriam-Webster dictionary defines this term as the following:
- an inclination of temperament or outlook
- an instance of such prejudice
- deviation of the expected value of a statistical estimate from the quantity it estimates
- systematic error introduced into sampling or testing by selecting or encouraging one outcome or answer over others
- a line diagonal to the grain of a fabric
- a peculiarity in the shape of a bowl that causes it to swerve when rolled on the green in lawn bowling
- a voltage applied to a device (such as a transistor control electrode) to establish a reference level for operation
- to give a settled and often prejudiced outlook to
- to apply a slight negative or positive voltage to
Here are some of the following synonyms:
It is a mid 16th century term, which is from the French term biais, which is based on the Greek term epikarsios , which means ‘oblique’.
Here are some examples of the usage of this term:
- This document provides guidance on the stages in scheme development at which optimism bias can be reduced.
- His natural parts were excellent; and a strong bias in the direction of abstract thought, and mathematics in particular, was noticeable at an early date.
- This bias is reflected in the maxim that “correction should precede interpretation,” which is no more than a half-truth.
- The sovereign as compared with her ministers has, because she is the sovereign, the advantage of long experience, wide survey, elevated position and entire disconnexion from the bias of party.
READ ALSO: What Is Judicious? Definition And Usage Of This Term
comment(s) for this post “What Is Bias? Definition And Usage Of This Term”. Tell us what you think abut this post by leaving your comments below.